> Strawberry Rhubarb Empanadas
Easy recipe for homemade rhubarb and strawberry empanadas. These sweet dessert empanadas or turnovers are filled with rhubarb and strawberry, baked, and served with whipped cream.
• 25-30 small sweet empanada discs made
from basic sweet pastry dough
• 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
• 3 cups strawberries, chopped
• 2 tbsp orange juice
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 tbsp cornstarch
• 1 egg, yolk and white separated
and lightly whisked
• 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, orange juice and cornstarch in a large bowl, mix well and let rest for an hour.
- Drain the liquid from the strawberries and rhubarb.
- To assemble the empanadas spoon the rhubarb and strawberry mixture on the center of the empanada disc.
- Brush the edges of the empanada disc with the egg whites.
- Fold the empanada discs and seal the edges, use a fork to help seal the empanadas.
- Lightly brush the top of the empanadas with the egg yolk; this will give them a nice golden glow when baked.
- Sprinkle the demerara sugar on the top of the empanadas.
- Chill the empanadas for at least 30 minutes, this will help them seal better and prevent leaks.
- Bake the empanadas in a pre-heated oven at 375 F for 30 minutes or until golden. Serve either warm or cold with whipped cream.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?